Breaking the Stigma: Debunking Myths Surrounding Menstruation and Menarche


If you are from a conservative family background like me, you will relate to it 100%.

When I was growing up, I didn't understand why my family didn't allow me to do certain things during my menstrual cycle, like cooking or going to the temple. I felt frustrated and thought there was something wrong with me. I felt very bad and It was very difficult to grasp why my family was behaving the way they did. I am sure so many of you if not all would have been in the same boat as me.

After studying women's health and wellness, I learned that people used to believe that women's bodies emitted smells and rays that could spoil food, so they were not allowed to touch certain types of food or go near places where food was stored or go to temples. There might be truth to it that may be I still don't understand but I as I see its about physical and spiritual hygiene. Whatever it is, I just wish someone talked to me openly about it in a practical sense.

I still know so many relatives of mine who are scared to bring up this topic to their young daughters which is understandable and difficult but an Important discussion that needs to happen. If you don't teach them, they will learn from someone/somewhere else and believe me kids have a very different level of grasping things that can take years and in some cases decades to clear so better they learn it from trusted sources like a parent. They would feel more comfortable discussing any issues they have if they feel you as a parent are casual about it.

It's important to talk openly about menstruation and menarche, and to dispel the myths that surround them. In the past, people were often ashamed to talk about these topics, but now we know that there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Remember, menstruation is a blessing and a powerful thing that only women can experience. So let's talk openly and proudly about it. Cheers to all the beautiful ladies out there!

Author - Manisha Kumavat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boost Your Health with Anti-Inflammatory Foods!!

The Link Between Inflammation and Disease: What You Need to Know

Unlocking Your Potential: The Power of Assuming a Better Identity